White bean, spinach, mushroom, potato, and cheese quesadilla
Phew that’s a long recipe title for a very simple recipe. The other day, my husband called right around the time I’d be prepping for dinner to let me know he’d be late. Normally, it’s not a big deal and I carry on with making dinner, except tonight we were going to have fish. I can cook fish, but D just does it better and it’s much better tasting so I decided I’d change dinner plans.
This idea was perfectly cool until I looked in the fridge and freezer and found mostly odds and ends. Hmm…time to Iron Chef some type of meal together. I had about two cups of plain white beans from making baked beans for Fourth of July, a few mushrooms, random cheeses, a few homemade baked potato fries, and frozen spinach – surely I can make something with this. I did a quick search for white bean recipes, and one of the first ones that came up was one for White Bean Quesadillas. I ran with this recipe as my inspiration. Use burrito sized wraps, or tortilla sized ones. Mix up the cheeses or greens with what you have on hand.
Our kids could not get enough of these. They asked what was in it, and when I asked did they really want to know they still wanted more! (They are funny about beans sometimes, but granted there was cheese and garlic I guess we got a winner!)
When served with a simple side salad, four burritos lasted us for two dinners.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 pkg of frozen spinach, thawed (or 1 cup of fresh spinach, chopped)
- ¼ of already cooked mashed or diced potato
- 2 cups of white beans, mashed with fork desired texture (or 1 - 15oz can drained, rinsed, Garlic
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon of garlic, minced (less if using dried)
- 2 cups grated or sliced cheese (I used sharp cheddar for the adults, colby for kids.)
- 4 burrito sized wraps (can use the smaller tortilla if you like)
- ¼ cup ranch dressing
- Optional: 1-2 tablespoons of chili, cajun, chipotle sauce
- Salt and pepper
- In a small bowl, mix ranch dressing with flavor/s of your choice. Add a bit of salt and pepper. Let sit for 10 or more minutes.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat, and cook onion until softened.
- Add mushrooms and cook about 5-10 minutes.
- Add spinach, cook until most of the liquid is gone.
- Add potatoes.
- Add mashed beans, and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Stir together, and cook for about five minutes. Turn off heat to mixture.
- Preheat large skillet, flat grill top, grilling machine etc.
- Evenly divide filling on one-half of each burrito. Evenly divide cheese amongst filling. Fold other half of burrito over filling, and gently press.
- Spray non-stick spray on cooking surface (if necessary), and cook the quesadilla for 2-3 minutes a side, just until it starts to color. Flip and repeat on other side.
- Remove to cooling rack or other flat surface. Cool for one minute, cut into triangles with knife or pizza cutter.
- Serve with or without flavored dressing.
https://www.thesugarpixie.net/2015/07/12/white-bean-spinach-mushroom-potato-and-cheese-quesadilla/https://www.thesugarpixie.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/whitebean_quesadilla.jpghttps://www.thesugarpixie.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/whitebean_quesadilla-150x150.jpgRecipesbean,spinach,vegetarianPhew that's a long recipe title for a very simple recipe. The other day, my husband called right around the time I'd be prepping for dinner to let me know he'd be late. Normally, it's not a big deal and I carry on with making dinner, except tonight we...thesugarpixie firstname.lastname@example.orgAdministratorThe Sugar Pixie