Hope you all had a great Memorial Day weekend! My brother, nephew and sister-in-law (Werling Around) were in town from Florida and we had tons of fun showing them around Pittsburgh! I have been looking for an excuse to make Dirt Cake/Dirt Dessert so when we decided to throw a family picnic I knew I had to make some Dirt.
This is a great project to get everyone involved, well maybe not your pets, but adults and kids of all sizes will have fun. Crushing the Oreos is a great way to get out some frustrations and we all kept telling my nephew to “WRECK IT!” (he’s a fan of Wreck It Ralph). My brother Dan took over mixing the pudding to make sure it was all mixed ‘just right.’
Making Dirt is pretty easy, the most difficult part was finding a recipe. I mean, it’s Dirt. I could pretty much guess there was Oreos, cream cheese, gummy creatures and pudding – oh no, there’s Cool Whip/Whipped Cream and BUTTER in it. What? Butter? Where what was it for? I skipped the butter – why oh why is it in there, really it tasted just fine without it. I am all for butter in cream cheese frosting though, but not needed here. Make it and mix it however you like – want big ribbons of chocolate pudding, just barely mix it with the cream cheese. Take as much or as little time as you want, because it’s all good!
Now go forth and WRECK IT!
- 1 package (about 15 ounces) Oreo Cookies
- 2 (3.9-ounces) packages instant chocolate pudding
- 4 cups milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounce container of Cool Whip
- Gummy worms (optional)
- Trifle/Rectangular glass dish/individual cups
- Crush Oreo cookies into small crumbs using a food processor (or, place cookies in a resealable bag and crush with rolling pin/mallet/fists); set aside.
- In a large bowl, completely mix together both boxes of instant pudding with milk for about 2 minutes. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Use a hand mixer to beat softened cream cheese, and slowly add powdered sugar. Beat until combined.
- Add cream cheese mixture to the chocolate pudding, and mix in the Cool Whip until all is combined to your liking.
- Layer the dessert alternating layers of crushed Oreo with chocolate filling. Begin and end with the Oreos. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (or overnight) before serving. Decorate the top with gummy creatures as desired.
https://www.thesugarpixie.net/2013/05/29/dirt-cake/FamilyRecipeschocolate,cool whip,cream cheese,gummy candy,kids,milk,oreos,puddingHope you all had a great Memorial Day weekend! My brother, nephew and sister-in-law (Werling Around) were in town from Florida and we had tons of fun showing them around Pittsburgh! I have been looking for an excuse to make Dirt Cake/Dirt Dessert so when we decided to throw...thesugarpixie firstname.lastname@example.orgAdministratorThe Sugar Pixie