I absolutely love the ginger dressing on salads you typically get at asian restaurants. We do not go out to asian restaurants as much anymore because of food allergies, and I can not bring myself to pay $6 for a bottle of ginger dressing with a long list of nonsense ingredients. I decided to give the old Google a go and searched for a ginger dressing recipe, and the fourth result down was one was from Saveur. Saveur rarely steers me wrong, and the recipe was absolutely brilliant. There’s pureed carrot in it, MIND BLOWN! It makes total sense! The sweet, orangey color and texture and ginger are always amazing together. This recipe is almost perfect (a little less oil, add some water etc.)
The original recipe from Saveur.com has a bit more oil and sugar, but I chose to reduce the amount based on recipe feedback. It is best to start on the lower end of the recommendations, and then modify to your tastes. I thought between the rice vinegar, and the carrots the dressing was pretty sweet so added about half the sugar. Instead of fresh ginger I used powdered, and loved the intensity of the flavor. I am surprised the kids liked it too!
- ½ - ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of water
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ - 1 tbsp. sugar (to your liking)
- 1½ tsp. finely grated ginger (or a few teaspoons of ginger powder)
- 2 medium carrots (about 8 oz.), peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ medium yellow onion (about 6 oz.), roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 head (about 1 lb.) iceberg lettuce, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces, for serving
- Optional: Shredded red cabbage, diced cucumber, and shredded carrot.
- In a blender combine: oil, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, carrots, and onion.
- Process until almost smooth.
- Season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Toss salad gently with dressing, or spoon over top individual portions. Serve immediately. (Unused dressing will keep for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.)
https://www.thesugarpixie.net/2015/01/20/carrot-ginger-dressing/Carrot-Ginger Dressinghttps://www.thesugarpixie.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/carrotginger-768x1024.jpghttps://www.thesugarpixie.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/carrotginger-300x300.jpgRecipesSidesasian,carrot,ginger,saladI absolutely love the ginger dressing on salads you typically get at asian restaurants. We do not go out to asian restaurants as much anymore because of food allergies, and I can not bring myself to pay $6 for a bottle of ginger dressing with a long list of...thesugarpixie firstname.lastname@example.orgAdministratorThe Sugar Pixie