How to make Cucumber Sandwiches and Invite to #DoTheDownton Virtual Tea Party (Dec. 6, 2015)
The Republic of Tea and Cost Plus World Market will be hosting a #DoTheDownton virtual tea party on social media to celebrate The Republic of Tea’s Downton Abbey tea collection and return of Cost Plus World Market’s Downton Abbey store (plus the show’s final season premiere in January).
We invite you to share pictures from your virtual tea parties with the tag #DoTheDownton. Learn more and RSVP to be eligible for some prizes!
Disclaimer: I received three tins of tea from the Republic of Tea for the purposes for this blog post. The following are my own thoughts and experiences on the product.
Downton Abbey Christmas Tea
Mulling spices – featuring cinnamon, cloves, allspice and other fragrant herbs – have been infused into wine and cider since Victorian England. Here we blend premium black tea with the warmth of traditional mulling spices for a truly festive cup that will fill your manor with an aroma of the holidays.
Downton Abbey Lady Cora’s Evening Tea
This caffeine-free blend of chamomile and lemon balm will calm the mind and body. Relaxing botanicals create a cup of tranquility that helps ease the nerves. Nice before bedtime when a soothing cup is a welcome friend.
Downton Abbey English Rose Tea
This vibrant, ruby-red infusion of rose, raspberry and hibiscus has fruity, floral notes and a touch of sweetness. Inspired by traditional British desserts, this caffeine-free, luscious tea is perfect as an afternoon treat. Enjoy hot or cooled over a tall glass of ice.
Let’s Make Cucumber Sandwiches
What better way to enjoy an afternoon tea than with some classic cucumber sandwiches? I am talking crustless buttered white bread, with thinly sliced cucumber. Yup, that’s it. My kids had these sandwiches at a friend’s birthday tea party at least three years ago and have been begging for me to make them.
I consulted a few websites (The Guardian has a super easy recipe), and my friend Maria – the maker of the oh so delicious sandwiches the girls wanted. Maria confirmed that yes, these sandwiches are silly easy, which is good because now the girls want these in their lunches from now on.
- ½ English cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced (the long thin cucumber in the plastic wrapper. Regular cucumbers would be okay, carve some of the seeds out)
- A few tablespoons - Unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 slices of white bread, crusts removed.
- Peel and thinly slice one half of an english cucumber
- Put a paper towel on a large plate, and lay the cucumber slices in a single layer.
- Lightly salt the slices and let them sit for 30 minutes. Check for flavor when finished, can rinse lightly if necessary and pat dry.
- Gently pat the cucumber slices with another paper towel or clean towel to wick up the extra moisture.
- Lightly pepper the slices.
- Generously butter each slice of bread
- Lay cucumber slices on half the slices of bread. Lightly salt again if desired.
- Place the other buttered slices of bread on the cucumbers. Gently press the sandwich down and make a firm cut on the diagonal, or in squares.
Step by Step – I am telling you, so easy!
Peel and thinly slice some english cucumber. Place on a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with some salt, let set for 30 minutes.
Remove the crusts from the white bread. I would probably buy the square white bread next time. (The leftover crusts make awesome croutons!)
Butter both sides. Lay slices of cucumber. Cut to fit where necessary. I did one layer.
Gently press down on the sandwich and cut into triangles or squares. Push down and cut for a nice even cut. Arrange on a plate and enjoy! (Can store for a few hours between layers of slightly moist paper towels in a sealed container.)
Now to figure out a dessert! What is your favorite tea party food? Favorite tea?
https://www.thesugarpixie.net/2015/12/03/how-to-make-cucumber-sandwiches-and-invite-to-dothedownton-virtual-tea-party-dec-6-2015/https://www.thesugarpixie.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/CucumberSandwiches5.jpghttps://www.thesugarpixie.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/CucumberSandwiches5-150x150.jpgRecipescucumber,review,tea partyThe Republic of Tea and Cost Plus World Market will be hosting a #DoTheDownton virtual tea party on social media to celebrate The Republic of Tea's Downton Abbey tea collection and return of Cost Plus World Market's Downton Abbey store (plus the show's final season premiere in January). We invite...thesugarpixie email@example.comAdministratorThe Sugar Pixie